Friday 30 December 2011

Next stops Rothenberg, Cologne & Munich


Next stop off was Rothenberg and I had been in contact with a chap that runs an acoustic folk music session, but we weren’t going to be there at the right time for this, so he very kindly arranged for me to do an acoustic day session.

Rothenberg was re-built by the Germans after the WW2 to show their cultural and historical context within and to the rest of Europe. It is truly beautiful. But for me, it is a little too beautiful! It reminded me a bit of Camberwick Green with its huge mechanical clock with chiming figures. To be fair, it was November and all the Christmas decorations were up. I couldn’t really feel a sense of real history. With the shop windows adorned with everything a tourist would want to see, it felt a little bit Disney for me! I feel awful saying this because the people were so welcoming and warm, and how can you complain that a place is too clean! It’s just a personal thing I suppose, that I felt more at home in the back streets of Florence than here.
Next stop was Cologne, where we had a sleep over. I didn’t have a performance booked here, but I spoke to the Hotel Manager and he very kindly gave me a spot in the foyer.
The following day we headed off to Munich where I had a meeting with a representative from an online TV/video company. We were running  bit late! They had asked me to do  an acoustic set in an Art House Cinema Café. When we were approaching I thought/hoped we had gotten the wrong place because it was right next door to a Sex Shop! The films in the cinema’s had just finished and everyone coming out looked like a student so I guessed it must be quite hip and happening, the cool place to hang out!

The little show case went really well! They so love acoustic music in Munich! But I guess it was the right crowd for my self penned songs!

We arrived in Munich in the dark and left so early it was still dark too, so in a way, it could have been any city. It felt like Cardiff late at night in the week. But the following morning, we were about to see Germany from a completely new perspective!

No comments:

Post a Comment