Friday 30 December 2011

Poem written by Cheryl Beer in the streets of Florence …



Walk in the steps of Dante

If I walk
With his sandstone
At my side

If I walk
With his limestone
Beneath my feet

If I compose statuesque
A melody so sweet

If I sing for him on cobbled square
Bronzed in marble
Half prepared

Will I walk in the steps of Dante?

If I let go of ink and pen
My mind racing to the page
Then back again

Read my words in different tongues
Less vulgar
Touched by everyone


To change the face of language known
Where greatness painted
Once at home

Will I walk
Will I walk in the steps of Dante?

No …
For my words fall
Like a sideshow
Of cheap trinkets
Sold on bartering streets
Destined to adorn
The fridges and key fobs
Of those whose feet
Will never trace his steps

Florentine Thoughts …
Do the things you love
And trust that the Universe
Will embrace those things with you

Don’t worry whether or not your creativity is good enough;
Embrace that which makes your heart sing and be what you are

No comments:

Post a Comment